Thursday, December 31, 2015

Star Gazing

Sometimes you just have to stop what you are doing and gaze at the stars -- or, in this case, at the full moon.  We have been incredibly frustrated over the constant rain and the subsequent delay in our projects, especially when Weather Bug keeps telling us that there is a zero percent chance of precipitation while we are listening to thunder and watching sheets of rain increasing the size of the puddles all around the property.

One night, I ran outside at 1:30 a.m. to put rolls of insulation back in the cabin during one of those "zero percent" downpours.   Needless to say, I was tired and cranky the next mornings and thinking of an early night for most of the day.  But my brother-in-law (BIL) headed outside to enjoy the warm evening after supper and shortly thereafter came back in to tell us about the incredible full moon and the clarity of the stars.  The view of the night sky always amazes me out here away from city lights, and that night was spectacular.  I didn't need a flashlight as I wandered about the property trying to capture the magic of the night with a camera.  Up until this moment, I didn't even think about the creep-crawlies that may have been running around my feet or dangling from trees.   (BIL's story that he told earlier this evening about a huge spider dangling from the brim his cowboy hat one time is probably what made me think about such things now, at 4:00 a.m.  Thank's BIL!)

There was something magical about the intensity of the full moon and the clarity of a plethora of stars that night that I couldn't capture on film.  The peace and awe felt is in no way diminished by the limitations of my camera and the time I spent out there that night will sustain me through the second half of the school year.  Sometimes we have to stop to gaze at stars when things get in the way of our goals and sometimes we have to stop and gaze back at memories of starry nights when responsibilities feel overwhelming.  I will hold on to the memory of an incredible night-time walk in the woods to get me through those stressful times. 


No comments:

Post a Comment